I’ve just come back to the site. I’m on leave for a week so thought it was time I fixed it and the first issue I had was the site code was out of date. Upgraded it and hit some DB issues which I fixed. The site then burst into life. So going to apply all the upgrades and see where that leads.
Didn’t realise it has been so long since I looked at the site. I know work was keeping me away from updating but never realised it was this long. Not sure where to start as it has been so long but let’s get the site fixed first and then I’ll get into a regular updating pattern.
Oh, this isn’t an April fool. It was just the day I managed to get around to looking at the site and while looking at the issue I read an article by the WordPress team who had raised this as a problem with a plug ins connection to the DB server. It was holding on to the links until they timed out and thus everyone was locked out until the DB server itself timed out.
The GoDaddy support team were no help. The tools available to me would never find this problem and they just said they don’t support apps.